You need to drink water to survive. But if the water is not treated, or purified, properly, it can make you very sick. There are different ways to purify your water for drinking, and the simplest and most effective option is using the best under sink water filter.
Under sink water filters, or under-counter water filters, are great because they’re tucked away out of sight and receive very high marks for filtration, however, choosing an under sink water filter can be overwhelming because there are literally hundreds of options available on the market, and they range widely in sophistication and price.
Your under sink water filter may use reverse-osmosis (RO), activated carbon, Alkaline remineralization, or ultra-violet sterilizer rays to clean or purify water. It may have three, four, five, or even 10 stages of filtration. How to choose the right type of under sink water filter for your home?
The answer is choosing an under sink water filtration system to be installed generally depends on what you’re trying to remove, or in other words, the type of contaminants in your water. It also depends on your budget.
This handy guide is designed to help you find the best under sink water filter that not only makes your water safe and tasting great but also fits your needs and budget. It provides you all the information needed to make a better purchase decision.
Below is our hand-picked list of the top 10 under sink water filter systems available on the market that we think you should buy.
The 10 Best Under Sink Water Filters To Buy – Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Home Master Artesian Full Contact Reverse Osmosis System – “This under sink RO systems removes all harmful contaminants from water and it provides the purified water that has the best taste of any reverse osmosis system we’ve tested. It’s made in the USA with domestic parts and offers up to 5-year limited warranty.”
- Runner Up: APEC RO-90 Ultimate Reverse Osmosis System – “This is one of the most popular under sink water filter systems on the market. If you’re looking for an under sink water filter with all US-made filters, provides great tasting water, has a reasonable price, then choose this product.”
- Best Value: iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis System – “This 6-stage under sink water filter with Alkaline pH balancer offers a terrific value. It gets WQA gold seal – which is a solid assurance of product quality, durability, and safety!”
- Best Budget: Whirlpool WHER25 Reverse Osmosis System – “This is a good under sink water filter with reverse osmosis for removing most common contaminants in municipal water supplies, including lead and chlorine taste and odor, and improves the taste of drinking water.”
- Best for Well Water: Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection – “This system features everything found in our top pick Artesian Full Contact – plus Ultraviolet sterilization lights that make it work excellent for well water with irons.”
- Best for Low Pressure Homes: APEC Ultimate RO-PERM Reverse Osmosis System – “For low pressure homes, this is a great option. It uses a non-electric pump that boosts performance by filling the tank faster and fuller, improving the flow rate at the faucet.”
- Best Non-RO: Aquasana AQ-5300+ 3-Stage Max Flow – “For anyone looking for a quality under sink water filter but doesn’t want to waste all the water that reverse osmosis filters waste. This system saves water, improves flow rate, and keeps all healthy beneficial in the water. Ideal for Chlorine treated municipal water supplies.”
- Best for Chlorine: CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter – “This simple system is very efficient in removing Chlorine from municipal water. It also reduces a wide variety of organic and inorganic contaminants including heavy metals (lead, mercury, chromium VI, cadmium, etc.), sediment, and molds.”
- Express Water RO5DX Reverse Osmosis System – “This 5-stage RO system is affordable but offers several unique features that only available in some of the high-end RO systems. It includes all filters needed for setup and first 6 months of use and extra 4 replacement filters for 1st replacement.”
- APEC ROES-PH75 Essence Reverse Osmosis System – “This APEC RO system features an US-made alkaline filter that adds only calcium carbonate into the water which affects the taste and also makes the water more alkaline.”
What’s in Your Water? – Water Contaminants
If you’re drinking tap water, the answer to that question is 300+ chemicals and pollutants, according to research from the Environmental Working Group.
Using results from over 20 million tests in over 47,000 American municipalities, the EWG reports that, “Water utilities nationwide detected more than 300 pollutants between 2004 and 2009. More than half of these chemicals are unregulated, legal in any amount. Despite this widespread contamination, the federal government invests few resources into protecting rivers, reservoirs, and groundwater from pollution in the first place.”
Testing found that Volatile Organic Chemicals – VOCs (such as pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals) are found in most municipal water sources and even in well and other sources due to agricultural run-off and contamination.
Testing also found that a third of American water supplies contain lead and 75% contain chromium-6. Hundreds of millions of people are unwittingly consuming these dangerous compounds every day. Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals – which are known to affect animals when they enter the water supply as well – may mimic or interfere with the normal hormones in the body and they are being found in increasing amounts in the water supply.
Chlorine and Chloramines (a combo of chlorine and ammonia) are the primary problems with municipal water quality. Reducing or eliminating these are essential to healthy water. While chlorine is relatively easy to remove with a simple carbon-based media, chloramines are not easy to remove without a specialized media designed to remove it specifically. Since more and more water municipalities are disinfecting their water with chloramines, it is imperative to have a filtration media to remove them.
Fluoride is found in some public drinking supplies. It takes special filters to remove it, not just any carbon filtration system will do. The best under sink water for fluoride removal should use an reverse osmosis (RO) filter that claims to remove fluoride.
This graphic was designed by Waterlogic.com
If you live on well water, a private well or public water supplies, you should know that well water contains a lot of hardness minerals such as calcium and magnesium, as well as relatively high levels of iron. Although you can use one of these best water softeners to remove most of hardness and iron, the water still contains bacteria and other contaminants that aren’t safe for drinking.
Most water suppliers and utilities in the U.S. (and some in Canada) issue a yearly water quality report. You can check your local water quality report to see what contaminants are in your water. This is helpful in determining what you need to filter out when choosing an under sink water filter.
Choosing The Best Under Sink Water Filter
Once you know what you need to remove from your drinking water, it’s time to choose the best under sink water filter option for your family.
Today’s under sink water filters rely on a small number of technologies. Once you understand how these technologies work, choosing the best option for your home will be a lot easier.
A few tips to keep in mind
- Under sink water filters vary widely in their quality and ability to remove specific contaminants. Some of the options are much more expensive than the others, however, they can reduce more contaminants and significantly improve the taste of water. Simply put, a small investment is worth it if it can improve the quality of your water.
- Some under sink water filters use a combination of technologies, while some rely on just one. This is reflected in the number of stages of filtration. The best under sink water filter for most Americans is one with multi-stage filters, at least 3 stages.
Here are some basic water filtration technologies that most under sink water filters on the market today are using:
Pre filters block sediments by using tiny holes but they let all the contaminants pass. They do not remove chemicals. Multi-stage under sink water filters often use these filter as a first stage to keep the particles out of other filters.
Activated carbon removes contaminants from the water by bonding with them on a chemical level. Some remove only chlorine, and improve taste and odor. Others remove contaminants including asbestos, lead, mercury, and volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. However, activated carbon doesn’t remove common inorganic pollutants such as arsenic, fluoride, hexavalent chromium, nitrate, and perchlorate.
Activated carbon filters can use a carbon block, a fibredyne block, or granulated activated carbon. The first two are more effective in general, but the second type is best at removing sediments.
Reverse Osmosis (RO)
If you think your drinking water is highly polluted that can affect your family health, or if you want to get rid of the greatest possible pollutants from your drinking water, then the best under sink water for you is a system that uses reverse osmosis as one of its filtration stages.
RO filter is the heart of the system as it can remove the widest range of contaminants. It blocks any particles that are larger than the molecule of water, therefore blocking: fluoride, arsenic, and nitrates.
Reverse osmosis is very effective at removing many contaminants not removed by activated carbon. It also has very high effectiveness in removing protozoa, bacteria, viruses.
Only reverse osmosis can reduce Total dissolved solids (TDS) and remove salt/sodium in the water after softening. And reverse osmosis is also the only proven water filtration method to effectively remove fluoride.
However, reverse osmosis systems cannot remove chlorine and VOCs. These systems will also generate several gallons of waste water for every gallon they filter and also remove beneficial minerals in addition to contaminants.
Video: A simple video explains how Reverse Osmosis (RO) work
Ultraviolet lights kill bacteria and microorganisms, but do not remove chemicals.
Ultraviolet technology is recognized by the EPA as one of four approved methods of sterilizing water, and is preferable over the other three methods – chlorine, iodine, and distillation – due to its instantaneous effect and the fact that it does not leave any residual chemicals in the water. Therefore no change taste, odor, pH, conductivity or general chemistry of the water. UV is also more effective against viruses than chlorine.
The best under sink water filter for well water should come with UV filter because UV is very effective in eliminating microbiological contamination. Of all under sink water filter systems with ultraviolet, the Home Master HydroPerfection RO System has the most powerful UV sterilization filter, which destroys up to 99% of microorganisms in the water.
Alkaline pH Balancer
Only some of the top under sink water filters on the market feature Alkaline pH Filter. An under sink water filter system with an alkaline pH filter tends to much more expensive than a system without an alkaline filter.
Reverse osmosis filter and activated carbon filter purify the water and remove many contaminants in which there are many alkaline minerals that are good for health. An alkaline filter is designed as a part of a multi-stage water purification system which restores healthy minerals and a natural alkaline balance, while also producing a more natural taste.
Most under sink water filtration systems simply produce clean and safe drinking water. But an alkaline water filter takes water treatment to the next level – providing you water in its purest form. So when choosing the best under sink water filter for drinking water, keep in mind that a system with an alkaline water filter will give you better overall tasting water and also offer more benefits for your health.
Under sink water filters that use this technology pass your water over a resin that replaces undesirable ions with others that are more desirable. One common example is water softening, which replaces calcium and magnesium with sodium. Keep in mind that the resin must be periodically recharged with replacement ions to continue working.
Best Under Sink Water Filters Reviews
Here are some of the best under sink water filters on the market that we think you should buy. These systems are very efficient in removing harmful contaminants and improving the taste of the water.
Our favorite under sink water filters, which we recommend to many of our friends are from Home Master (Perfect Water Technologies, Inc.). They remove much of the bad stuff without stripping the water of beneficial minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium, and they offer drinking water with the best taste. The best part is Home Master under sink water filters are made in the USA and they have up to 5 years limited warranty.
Apec Water System and iSpring are also very good choices. They offer products with solid quality, affordable pricing, and great customer service. Like Home Master, Apec’s under sink water filters are made and assembled in the USA, while iSpring’s under sink water filters are assembled in the USA with materials from both domestic and overseas.
1. Best Overall: Home Master Artesian RO System
Home Master Artesian Full Contact Reverse Osmosis system is our pick as the best under sink water filter for most people. With 7 stages of filtration, purification and enhancement, this filtration system delivers exceptional water purity and adds many beneficial minerals that are good for your health.
It removes 99% of contaminants using the reverse osmosis (RO) process, then circulates pure water through the Artesian remineralization filter twice using the Full Contact Technology to restore more minerals. It’s an entirely natural process – just like rainwater passing through the earth. Full Contact technology creates great water tasting that is perfect for coffee and tea.
Full Contact technology solves the most common problems associated with traditional reverse osmosis systems.
Traditional RO systems produce demineralized water that is pure but acidic. This acidic water attacks the rubber bladder in the storage tank, enters the water stream and affects the taste.
Full Contact pH balances the water on the way to the storage tank, and once again on the way to the faucet adding a small amount of calcium and magnesium minerals (30-60 mg/l) – to make the water slightly alkaline and improve the taste.
Thanks to Full Contact technology, Home Master reverse osmosis systems provide the purified water that has the best taste of any reverse osmosis system we’ve tested.
Another problem associated with traditional RO systems is the “canister filter housing” design, where only the filters are changed, and not the filter housings. Sediment, microorganisms and biofilm can accumulate in the canisters and, over time, the canisters will weaken, begin to leak and ultimately fail. This can potentially lead to serious water damage and costly home repairs.
Home Master RO filters are incorporated into the filter housing, so that when it comes time for the annual filter change, the filter, and the entire filter housing, are disposed of. This is to prevent flooding in your home.
All Home Master RO systems now use powerful catalytic carbon filtration media in the carbon pre-filter to treat the very persistent chemical disinfectant chloramines. Ordinary carbon filters are unable to effectively remove this stubborn contaminant that is now being deployed nationwide to replace chlorine. It takes the more advanced carbon media known as catalytic carbon.
Here are 8 benefits of the Home Master Artesian:
- Patented “Full Contact” Technology: circulates pure water through the Artesian remineralization filter twice to restore more minerals.
- Purified Alkaline Water: restores more natural calcium and magnesium minerals (ions) removed during the reverse osmosis process to produce clean, pure Alkaline Mineral Water on Tap balanced carefully at a pH level of 7.0 – 8.0 which gives you that perfect balance that allows your body to absorb the water easily.
- Exceptional Purification: removes up to 99% of fluoride, chlorine, chloramines, chemicals, lead, heavy metals, VOCs, SOCs, dissolved solids, pharmaceuticals and other contaminants using reverse osmosis, sediment and catalytic carbon filtration.
- Superior Design: uses modular filters where the filter element and the filter housing are an all-in-one assembly for quick and easy annual filter changes. Just unplug and go, no wrenches necessary! Also, no permanent canister filter housings that can weaken and burst with age.
- Advanced long lasting filters: 2,500 gallons or 1 year between filter changes.
- Included Fast Flow RO! Kit: Double the flow from your faucet fills your cup twice as fast as standard RO systems, without the need for larger, more costly membranes that do not produce results from the faucet where it counts.
- Very easy to install and use. Great customer service with step-by-step instructions on the company website.
- Made in USA, 5-year limited warranty, and 30 days money back.
Overall the Home Master Artesian Full Contact RO system is one of the best under sink water filters you can buy. It is a sophisticated filtration system with high-quality components and technologies designed to produce exceptionally pure water. This is also one of the top rated under sink water filters on the market with tons of 5 stars ratings.
2. Runner Up: APEC Ultimate RO-90 Premium RO System
The APEC Water Systems RO-90 Ultimate Series Top Tier is among the most popular under sink water filtration systems on the market. If you’re looking for an under sink water filter with a good RO filter, long filter life, and an affordable price, then choose this product. This system is designed, engineered and assembled in the USA with 100% domestic filters.
The RO-90 is WQA Gold Seal certified to remove up to 99% of harmful water contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, as well as toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, nitrates, and heavy metals. Its RO filter is designed to purify water up to 2 times faster than traditional RO systems.
Rated at 90 GPD (Gallons Per Day), the RO-90 provides one of the highest output rates in the industry, making it perfect for large family.
One thing you will notice about the APEC Water Systems RO-90 RO under sink filter is that this system features a metal framed construction, including the tank. Compared to cost-cutting plastic or frame-less systems that require total disassembly of the system to change filters, APEC metal framed construction prevents kinks and leaks in tubing damage, prohibiting vibration and noises. It also makes identifying and replacing filters intuitive and easy.
The RO-90 features 5 filtration stages:
- 1st stage: High-grade & high-capacity polypropylene sediment filter – removes dust, particles, and rust. Protects and extends the life of the membrane and system.
- 2nd stage & 3rd stage: Extruded carbon block surface gets rid of unpleasant chlorine, tastes, odors, cloudiness and colors. Also removes VOC and other common chemicals from the water. The carbon block is large which maximizes contact time to guarantee water purity and multiplies lifetime of filters and membranes.
- 4th stage: Industry’s highest quality FILMTEC (DOW chemical) high rejection TFC reverse osmosis membrane. Removes up to 99% of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and contaminants such as arsenic, lead, fluoride, chromium, radium, bacteria, viruses and much more.
- 5th stage: Advanced coconut shell refining carbon – Total Contamination Removal (TCR) filter removes any possible residual taste from the tank.
If you don’t want to add calcium and magnesium back into the purified water to increase alkalinity, APEC Water Systems RO-90 RO system is one of the best under sink water filter options to buy.
This is ideal for those looking for a high-quality under sink filtration system with long-lasting performance, low maintenance and high flow rate, but don’t want to spend too much money on it. Affordable replacement filters also make the APEC much more cost-effective in the long run.
3. Best Value: iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Under Sink RO System
The iSpring RCC7AK RO System is an upgraded model of iSpring most popular under sink Reverse Osmosis system RCC7. It gets our “best value” ranking as it provides the greatest overall benefit under a very competitive price and great customer support.
This under sink water filter features 6 stages of filtration, including a high-capacity reverse osmosis filter which removes up to 99.99% of contaminants down to 0.0001 microns and an Alkaline Remineralization filter which restores alkalinity by adding a small amount (30 mg/Gal.) of calcium and magnesium back into the water.
Comparing to other under sink RO systems on the market, the iSpring RCC7AK and APEC RO-90 water filter both get WQA gold seal and they were tested by independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI Standard and the use of FDA food-grade material in all parts.
So, what’s “WQA gold seal”?
The Water Quality Association (WQA) is a non-profit association for the residential commercial and industrial water treatment industry. In 1959, the WQA was the first organization to develop testing standards and certification policies for products that treat drinking water.
This program, the Gold Seal Certification Program, awarded its’ first Gold Seal award in 1960 and is now the oldest third-party testing and certification program in the water treatment industry. Only products that pass the rigorous testing requirements of industry standards, pass annual manufacturing facility audits, and comply with WQA’s Certification Schemes can get WQA’s gold seal.
The WQA Gold Seal is a solid assurance of product quality, durability, and safety for you. But you don’t need to worry if your filter doesn’t have a WQA gold seal. Many under sink water filters on the market, including some of the best under sink water filters, don’t have this certification.
The iSpring RCC7AK RO System is great for DIY installation. The entire system fits nicely under a standard kitchen sink. Installation is straightforward and all parts necessary for installation are included. You are guided by clear, well organized written instructions, instructional videos, and access to iSpring’s technical support.
This system has 6 stages:
- 1st stage: a 5-micron sediment filter that traps particulate matter such as dirt, rust, and silt – things that can affect the taste and appearance of your water and potentially clog the system.
- 2nd stage: a 5-micron GAC filter reduces chlorine, tastes, and odors, as well as mineral oil, BTEX, Polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PACs), phenol, and halogenated substances.
- 3rd stage: a denser carbon block filter removes any residual color, taste, and odor (CTO), as well as difficult-to-remove chemicals such as chloramines.
- 4th stage: The Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter with semi-permeable membrane features tiny 0.0001 microns sized holes, effectively removes arsenic, lead, perchlorate, chromium, fluoride, copper, TDS (total dissolved solids), sodium, and a long list of other water contaminants. It also removes parasitic cysts, such as giardia and cryptosporidia. Produces drinking water at a rate of 75 gallons per day
- 5th stage: a finer GAC filter, also known as the post carbon filter, which works as a final polishing filter when the water leaves the storage tank.
- 6th stage: Alkaline filter adds back healthy minerals that were removed during the RO process, including ionized calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium.
The iSpring RCC7AK RO System is one of the best under sink water filters for drinking water you can buy. At its current price, this water filter system offers a terrific value. If you’re looking for an under sink water filter to purify well water, the iSpring RCC7AK-UV Deluxe is a decent option. The RCC7AK-UV features everything found in the RCC7AK plus an 11W UV filter allows destroying bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms.
4. Best Budget: Whirlpool WHER25 Reverse Osmosis Filtration System
Looking for an economical reverse osmosis systems for your kitchen sink, the Whirlpool WHER25 is your best bet. Whirlpool WHER25 is one of the cheapest under sink water filters on the market.
This under sink water filtration system is designed to remove chlorine taste and odor, chemicals, lead, fluoride, sediment, dissolved solids, and most common harmful contaminants from the municipal water supply. It doesn’t remove bacteria and microorganisms from the water, so it’s not recommended for use with private well water.
The Whirlpool WHER25 features a space-saving design allows for use under the kitchen sink with tight space. It has 3 stages of filtration, including 2 pre and post carbon filter and an RO filter. Most of the serious filtration of this under sink water filter is done by its RO filter.
We can say this is a standard 3-stage reverse osmosis filtration system that is designed for the main purpose is removing contaminants including lead and chlorine taste and odor from the water. The taste of the purified water is above the average.
In conclusion, this is the best under sink water filter for those want to ensure the water from the kitchen faucets is safe for drinking and cooking, and don’t want to spend too much money for a premium water filter. We have found that this budget under sink water filter is also very effective in removing salt or sodium from the water, so it’s ideal for use with your water softening system.
5. Best for Well Water: Home Master HydroPerfection Undersink RO System
The Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection is our pick as the best under sink water filter for well water. This system features some of the most powerful water filters that make it work excellent for well water with irons. It has Home Master industry-leading reverse osmosis filter, IRON prefilter protects RO membrane, UV filter, Alkaline filter with Full Contact technology, all combined in a superior design for the best taste of water and ease of use.
This system is a little more expensive than some typical under sink RO systems but we think it’s worth every penny. The quality of the water you get from this unit is just unbelievably good, plus you don’t have to change the filters as often as some of the other 5-stage and especially the 3-stage units.
Plus, one thing you should notice about this Home Mater HydroPerfection under sink water filter is that it comes with built-in non-electric permeate pump that can reduce water waste by up to 80%, produce clean water a lot faster up to 50%, provide slightly cleaner water, and increase membrane life from the reduction in total water processed.
The HydroPerfection features everything found in the Full Contact Artesian plus permeate pump and ultraviolet light.
The UV filter has many advantages in fighting bacteria and microorganisms in well water. After the water has been filtered down to a sub-micron level, it then enters an ultraviolet sterilization chamber where any viruses, bacteria, mold, and other living microorganisms are bombarded with special, intense light of a specific wavelength (254 um).
The UV light penetrates the cell walls of the organisms and attacks their DNA structure leaving the organism dead or unable to reproduce – effectively neutralized. The Home Master UV module operates for a full year at 17,000-microwatt seconds/cm.
To purify well water more effectively and protect the reverse osmosis membrane, Home Master HydroPerfection under sink water filter also uses an iron prefilter which contains coconut shell catalytic carbon and KDF85 to remove dissolved iron, chloramines and hydrogen sulfide that would otherwise destroy the reverse osmosis membrane.
Many under sink RO filters use lower grade filters made from less effective coal carbon with one 5-micron filter and one 10-micron filter which do not protect the reverse osmosis membrane from iron and hydrogen sulfide leading to early system failure.
If you’re using water from a private well, then the Home Master HydroPerfection is one of the best under sink water filters for your home. On well water with iron, this system produced the best tasting water of any under sink water filters we’ve tested. This is also great for municipal water using chloramines.
6. Best for Low Pressure: APEC Ultimate RO-PERM Reverse Osmosis System
The APEC Ultimate RO-PERM RO System is one of the best under sink water filters for low-pressure homes. This RO system is designed to operate on low water pressures from 30-50 psi. It uses a non-electric pump that boosts performance by filling the tank faster and fuller, which improves the flow rate at the faucet. It also conserves up to 80% more water than standard systems, making it much more efficient.
Assembled in America with the same expertise as APEC most popular RO-90 systems, RO-PERM offers the reassurance of premium quality components and the highest level of contaminant rejection. This system features 5 stages of water purification and it guarantees to remove up to 99% of all contaminants, such as chlorine, taste, odor, toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, and chromium.
7. Best Non-RO: Aquasana AQ-5300+ Under Sink Water Filter
This is the best under sink water filter for anyone looking for a quality water filter but doesn’t want to waste all the water that reverse osmosis filters waste. The Aquasana AQ-5300+ features 3 stages allow it to remove most common harmful contaminants from the water, including heavy metals like lead and mercury, chlorine resistant cysts like giardia and cryptosporidium, organic chemicals like herbicides, pesticides and VOCs, and pharmaceuticals like estrone and ibuprofen.
The 1st stage is a 20-micron pre-filter to capture rust, sediment and silt that can clog your system. The 2nd stage is an activated carbon filter helps reduce organic chemicals like pharmaceuticals, herbicides, pesticides, and other volatile organic chemicals. Improves the overall taste of your water and removes chlorine odor. The 3rd stage is a catalytic carbon filter which targets chlorine and chloramines.
One step further than most under sink water filters on the market, the Aquasana AQ-5300+ integrates Bluetooth connectivity technology that will track gallons filtered, measure environmental impact, estimate your dollars saved. The filter will also alert you when it’s time to change your filters.
We’d recommend the Aquasana AQ-5300+ for anyone looking for the best Non-RO under sink water filter. Without reverse osmosis, this water filter system improves flow rate in high sediment areas, reduces water waste, and keeps all the healthy minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium in the water.
Video: Installing Aquasana AQ-5300+ Under Sink Water Filter
8. Best for Chlorine: CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter
Don’t be fooled by the compact design of this under sink water filter! The CuZn UC-200 is extremely efficient in treating municipal water with Chlorine.
This system can reduce a wide variety of organic and inorganic contaminants including heavy metals (lead, mercury, chromium VI, cadmium, etc.), sediment, and molds; but it’s best suited for chlorine. So if you only need to remove chlorine taste and odor that may affect the quality of your water supply, then the CuZn UC-200 is the best under sink water filter for you.
The CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter features 3 stage filtration in a very small package. In addition to Micro Sediment Membranes, this system utilizes a patented combination of KDF-55 filtration media and Virgin Acid Washed Catalytic Coconut Shell Carbon filtration media that have been tested to NSF standard. It purifies the water selectively, allowing calcium & magnesium to pass through.
One thing we love about this under counter water filter is that its filter only needs to be replaced every 50,000 gallons of water or 5 years. This will save you a lot of money compared to other systems.
We would recommend this CuZn UC-200 Undersink Water Filter for those who want to remove chlorine taste from the city water supply. This is a very simple under sink water filter system that will take you just about 5 minutes to install. But keep in mind that this filter is best suited for use with chlorine treated municipal water and not designed for private well water. This filter is made in the USA.
Express Water makes some of the best under sink water filter systems with reverse osmosis filters on the market. Their under sink water filters are available in a wide range of options to meet customers’ needs. RO5DX is one of the most economical RO systems they are selling and it’s cheaper than most 5-stage RO systems we reviewed.
The RO5DX features 5 stages purification allows removing over 108 contaminants from the water, including Lead, Chlorine, Fluoride, Cyanide, Giardia, Radium, Asbestos, Calcite, Heavy Metal, Bacteria, Viruses, Pharmaceuticals, and more.
This filtration system operates on 40-80 PSI water pressure, you may need a booster pump depending on your water pressure. The system produces 50-100 Gallons of clean water per day and it includes fast flow faucet with 0.8 GPM delivery.
The RO5DX offers several unique features including Double Sealed Filters, Leak Stop Valve, and Quick Connect Adapter. Double Sealed Filters to preserve your filters and your kitchen. Each filter is double sealed to provide filtration efficiency and value. Leak Stop Valve shuts off water flow if excess water is detected and Quick Connect Adapter the system can get set up fast and easy.
This system includes all filters needed for setup and first 6 months of use and extra 4 replacement filters for 1st replacement.
Here are 5 stages of filtration of the Express Water RO5DX under sink water filter:
- 1st stage is a Sediment filter which helps filter dirt, dust, sand, and rust.
- 2nd and 3rd stage are Carbon Block and Granular Carbon Filters which focus on pollutants like chlorine, volatile organic chemicals, and odor-causing compounds.
- 4th stage is the Reverse Osmosis filter
- 5th stage is a Post Activated Carbon Filter which does a final pass on your water, right before it comes through the kitchen faucet, removing any possible taste or odor.
The Express Water RO5DX is one of the best under sink water filters for those looking for an affordable RO filtration system that can remove most harmful contaminants and Chlorine from the drinking water. This system includes all filters needed for setup and extra 4 replacement filters for 1st replacement. All the filters including the RO membrane need to be replaced every 6 months.
Video: How to Install Express Water RO5DX RO Undersink System
Unlike model RO-90, the APEC ROES-PH75 RO system comes with an Alkaline filter that adds healthy minerals to the drinking water for better water taste. And another difference is the gallons per day production ratings. The ROES-PH75 supplies 75 gallons of clean water per day while the RO-90 is 90 gallons per day.
The ROES-PH75 under sink water filter features an US-made alkaline filter that adds only calcium carbonate into the water which affects the taste and also makes the water more alkaline. This alkaline filter only adds a small amount of calcium into the water so it will not cause calcium scale on your kitchen sink and faucets.
This system features 6 stages of filtration removes up to 99% of harmful water contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, as well as toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, nitrates, heavy metals and more.
We’d recommend the APEC ROES-PH75 because of the system itself, and the company. For over 20 years, APEC always delivers the best water filtration products that produce pure and great tasting water. We love their whole house water systems and RO systems. APEC ROES-PH75 is one the best under sink water filters available and we recommend it for anyone looking for a high-quality made-in-USA product and for anyone desire alkaline water.